Immersive experiences in W.S. Merwin’s garden
Please Note: To protect the ecological integrity and preserve the intimacy of this special place, we only open the Merwin property to guests when hosting scheduled public programs.
Hike through one of the world’s most extensive palm collections. Located on Maui’s north shore in the Peʻahi Stream valley, W.S. Merwin’s palm garden inspired some of the most celebrated poetry of our time. The lush 18.8 acre palm garden features 2,740 individual palm trees of more than 400 taxonomic species and 125 unique genera, and nearly 900 different horticultural varieties. The palms have been taxonomically identified, botanically tagged and recorded in a database that can be accessed and searched online.
How to sign up:
After reserving your spot(s) using the links below, you’ll receive an email confirmation. If the program you are requesting is full, you’ll be added to the waitlist. Closer to the date of your selected program, we’ll send you more information about your visit, including meeting place. Visits led by Merwin Conservancy staff are held on one Friday per month, and last about 2 1/2 hours. The experiences includes a hike into the Peʻahi Stream valley, informal historical and botanical conversation, poetry readings, and quiet time.
Open Garden Days safety protocol:
The Merwin Conservancy adheres to current public health mandates and follows recommendations from the CDC, our Mayor, and Governor. Group size for each program is limited to 8 people, plus one staff member.
Please note: this is more of a hike than a walk. Before booking, participants must assess their own physical ability to take this hike with us, and must commit to exercising caution by staying on the trails, using the provided walking sticks, wearing sturdy shoes, and bringing drinking water. All garden programs are dependent upon weather that is safe for hiking.
- Thursday, December 15th, 2022 from 9:00AM – 11:30AM – FULL [Join the Waitlist]
- Thursday, December 15th, 2022 from 1:00PM – 3:30PM – FULL [Join the Waitlist]
- Friday, January 27th, 2023, 9:00AM – 11:30AM – FULL [Join the Waitlist]
- Friday, January 27th, 2023, 1:00PM – 3:30PM – FULL [Join the Waitlist]
- Friday, February 24th, 2023, 9:00AM – 11:30AM – FULL [Join the Waitlist]
- Friday, February 24th, 2023, 1:00PM – 3:30PM – FULL [Join the Waitlist]
- Friday, March 24th, 2023, 9:00AM – 11:30AM – FULL [Join the Waitlist}
- Friday, March 24th, 2023, 1:00PM – 3:30PM – FULL [Join the Waitlist]
NOTE: Please donʻt be discouraged if you see a program is “FULL.” We quite often call people on our waitlist to join us!
To stay informed about future dates to visit the garden, please subscribe to our newsletter. We announce new dates quarterly.
Would you like to to help us keep Open Garden Days free of cost?
Make a donation to support our programs!