On Saturday, April 21st, 2018, the Hawaii Geographic Alliance (HGA), in collaboration with National Geographic, The Merwin Conservancy, and the Hawaii State Department of Education (HIDOE) will offer a one-day, non-PD credit workshop on Maui that will provide secondary (grades 6-12) Social Studies and Science/STEM teachers with creative tools for bringing geo-inquiry into their classrooms.
This workshop will feature a prominent photographer from National Geographic, a National Geographic Geo-Inquiry expert, and senior staff of the Merwin Conservancy. Presenters from HGA and HIDOE will also be featured.
This workshop will focus on learning the geo-inquiry process through hands-on experiences that incorporate photography and a visit to W.S. Merwin’s renowned palm forest. Connections to Social Studies (the C3 Framework), Science (NGSS), and STEM will be made as participants experience geo-inquiry for themselves.
Though full details are provided on the PDE3 website, basic information is below.
Date: Saturday, April 21, 2018
Time: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Where: Haiku Community Center, Pilialoha Street, Haiku, Maui, Hawaii 96708
Who: Participation is limited to 35 grade 6-12 Social Studies and Science/STEM teachers
In order to be considered for acceptance, all educators must complete the following two steps no later than Friday, April 6, 2018:
- REGISTER on PDE3 for Course # Section # ; and
- COMPLETE and SUBMIT the “Intent to Participate” form via the following url: http://bit.ly/MerwinGeoInquiry
HGA will provide reimbursement of the following for up to 15 non Maui-based teachers who stay for the full day:
- Round trip, economy class airfare. Participants must complete their travel within 24 hours. Anyone wishing to deviate from the 24 hour travel stipulation will be responsible for any additional costs.
- Economy class car rental. Economy class rental car expenditures will be reimbursed for a 24 hour rental period only. Anyone wishing to deviate from either the economy class requirement or the 24 hour rental stipulation will be responsible for any additional costs.
- Overnight accommodations. Up to $200 will be reimbursed for a one-night stay at a Maui hotel. Hotel must be booked at the Kamaaina rate when available. Anyone wishing to deviate from the $200 hotel allotment and/or hotel booking class will be responsible for any additional costs.
Please contact the following individuals should you have questions:
Mahalo to our partners for making this workshop possible: